Laser Hair Removal
How does the laser work –Hair has pigment called melanin that gives it colour. Laser works on the colour of hair and on its thickness.
An ideal candidate –Is one who has thick, dark hair.
The results are not permanent but it nourishes skin to feed its own rejuvenation.
Number of treatments required –The hair that regrows is much lighter and finer. About 6-8 treatments are required.
Not painful or uncomfortable –The treatment feels somewhat like the snapping of a rubber band. The sapphire chill tip in the laser makes the treatment quite comfortable.
Possible side effects –In trained hands side effects would be minimal. There can sometimes be temporary redness or swelling. To prevent side effects one can do a patch test for sensitive skin. Pre-screening is done at the clinic by trained dermatologist.
Age for treatment –Once you are 16-18 yrs plus and till your hair is black in colour.
Effective Results –After the treatment one can see a reduction in the density and thickness of hair. People with hormonal problem, light hair or those who have experienced laser failure before need to be evaluated (before the start of the treatment).
Areas that can be treated –Laser treatment can be used to remove hair from any part of the body. Common areas are – face, lower face, chin, under arms, arms, chest, abdomen, back, legs, bikini line and body.
Number of sessions required –Usually 6-8 sessions are required to achieve total hair reduction in a particular area. For most patients, the hair removal is permanent. 10% to 20% patients may require 'maintenance' treatment sessions once or twice per year.
Time per session –For the face 15-20 minutes; for the body 1-3 hrs. Benefits of the treatment – Faster, relatively painless, FDA approved reliable and sophisticated method of laser hair reduction.
- Shave the area to be treated. Lather the area with soap and shave along the hair growth.
- Leave a patch for us to access the hair growth.
- The area to be treated should be clean and free of any makeup.
- Sun protection is very important after the treatment, so please use a sunscreen on the treated area as advised by the doctor.
- Avoid procedures like plucking, waxing, bleaching or electrolysis two weeks prior to the treatment.
- Avoid excessive exposure to the sun.
- Avoid saunas, steam and sunbathing for at least 4-6 days after the treatment.
Follow up sessions
Do not get alarmed if you notice re-growth in the area being treated. Hair growth has a cycle of 3 phases and the length of the hair varies for different body parts. However, as the treatment progresses, the hair generally becomes finer and sparser.
Intervals between follow-up sessions
- Face –After 4-5 weeks
- Upper Body – After 5-6 weeks
- Lower Body – After 6-8 weeks